Sunday, June 3, 2012

OH MY GOSH. AN UPDATE. This title has nothing to do with the below post. Other than that this is indeed an update.

Apparently I have fans now. This is new.

On the writing front, I have written stuff. I'm not a totally unproductive procrastinator who has been putting off everything. (Most of the time, anyways...) On the life front, we're moving. And I have a paying job now. And friends and family are apparently more important than spending all day typing on the computer. Who knew.

So I have written stuff. Posting it simply hasn't been a priority.

I finished False Black. It's in the depths of my computer waiting for me to decide I'm ready to edit it.

My latest project is this.
Something’s happening, serious enough to make Zeus extend an offer of an alliance to the Æsir, the gods of the Norse; serious enough to make the normally rival gods accept the offer and band together with the Olympians.
The Æsir and the Olympians find themselves caught in a war to save the Nine Worlds from enslavement. One by one the gods fall and are scattered through the realms, until the only ones left are those who weren’t allowed to actively partake in the fight: the children of the two tricksters Loki and Hermes.
Now Hela, Fenris, Jormungand, Autolycus, and Abderus must find some way to finish the task their parents could not. Where the gods failed, five tricksters must succeed. The Nine Worlds are at stake, and when the five tricksters can’t even make peace between themselves, how are they supposed to fill in for the gods?
Fun stuff, fun stuff. I have a few title ideas:
  • Æsir and Olympian (I would use this but 'Æsir' is a very obscure term. Most people think of them as the Norse gods, or, thanks to Marvel, 'Asgardians'. You have no idea how much I hate the term 'Asgardians'. They're Æsir, Marvel, Æsir. Get your facts straight.)
  • Trickster's Child (Self-explanatory, this.)
  • Fire and Frost (Villains reference, this. Ten points if you can figure out what in Norse mythology this refers to.)
  • Five Tricksters (Also self-explanatory.)

It's still in the planning stages, but I'm in love with it. Here's a quick excerpt from the beginning:
The giants are stirring.
The dragons are taking wing once more.
Frost covers the ground in the middle of summer,
The empusa and their sisters are at large.
Scorched footprints scattered ’cross the land.
Something is happening. Something beyond the Olympians.
Zeus turned to Hermes, who stood at the side of his throne awaiting orders. A smirk still lingered on his face, but Hermes hated to be the bringer of bad news, especially to Zeus, who tended to take offense at such things. “Hermes,” the king of the Olympians said, voice heavy.
Hermes fidgeted. “Yes?”
“It is time we reached out to our brothers in Asgard.” Zeus looked off into the distance, eyes unseeing. “Events are moving quickly, and it may be too much for even the Olympians.”
“You wish to send a message to the Æsir?” Hermes quirked an eyebrow. Zeus took a fiendish pride in looking down upon the gods of the Norsemen, declaring their ways barbaric and violent.
Zeus slammed his fist down on his throne. “You heard what I said, Hermes!”
“Of course. A message to the Æsir,” Hermes corrected himself quickly.
“An alliance,” Zeus went on. “Against whatever is coming.”
Hermes bowed and turned to go. “I will deliver the message.” The wings on his sandals fluttered, excited at the prospect of another journey.
Zeus extending an offer of friendship to the Æsir…something is coming. Something big.
With something of that magnitude…will anyone be able to stop it?

1 comment: