THE MIRROR ON THE WALL
A retelling of Snow White
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter
One
"Mirror, mirror, on the
wall, who’s the fairest of them all?” I jeered in a mocking tone, after the
Queen had left the room. “I am sick and tired of her asking me that! I’d like to
hang her on the wall and ask her something like that every single day!
Boy does she have some major insecurities!”
I hung there in general anger and muttered, “This
is it. I’m done just telling her what she wants to here. Next time, I’ll tell
her that that servant girl, Snow White, is the fairest one of
all!
"Of course, there are a few holes in that story,” I
mused. “Like the fact that Snow White isn’t beautiful.”
In
the middle of my sentence a girl armed with a feather duster entered. She was
probably intending to dust the Queen’s many creepy magical objects. Hearing my
voice, she looked for the source and saw a mirror with a face - me. She screamed
and dropped her duster.
“What?
Never seen a talking mirror before?” I asked her sarcastically. “You must be new
here.”
She screamed again and fled
the room. I lifted up on my hook in the mirror equivalent of a shrug and
continued my aggrieved monologue.
"I
mean, skin white as snow? Add black hair and red lips and you have the creepiest
human I’ve ever seen! The girl’s only redeeming feature is that she’s nice.
Ugly, but nice. She’s the polar opposite of the Queen, who is beautiful but
cruel.
“Maybe Snow would look better if she mixed up her
wardrobe. Her dress looks like a paintbox exploded! Seriously! Blue skirt,
yellow bodice, red cape - and those weird red ovals on the puffed sleeves! It’s
hideous!” I shook my head - well, I wiggled on my hook. “Pff. How the Queen
would ever believe that Snow White was the fairest of them all is beyond me.
Still, it’s worth a shot."
And
that was the way the whole crazy adventure started. With one really, really bad
lie.
No comments:
Post a Comment