The Mirror On The Wall: Chapter 3
Chapter
Three
Oh no! The
Hunter!
No, wait.
You've lost me. Who's the Hunter?
That's one problem with being a mirror. You never
get a chance to get out and meet people. The only living things I know are the
Queen, and her cat Shalizar.
Shalizar is actually not bad for a witch's cat. He
has piercing green eyes and medium long shiny black fur. He is an excellent
conversationalist, if you speak cat. And if he's in the mood to talk, which is
not often.
The door
opened and a very, very, very scary man slipped in like a
shadow.
He was dressed
in multiple shades of dark olive green, and his stature was average. He had
filed teeth, sharp and pointed, and his eyes were a strange pale blue. Somehow
he had split the tip of his tongue, making it forked like a snake's. He had no
hair on his head.
Shalizar slipped in behind the Hunter as the latter
bowed low to the Queen. The former jumped onto a table and stared hungrily
around the room.
The Queen turned to the Hunter. "We have been
displeased by someone. Find them and bring their heart to
us!"
"Tell me who it is
and they will die," the Hunter said in a husky voice. He sounded like he would
cry at any moment, but the guy was probably a crocodile at heart. Any tears he
wept would be false.
"It is a girl in our palace. Her name is Snow
White!"
"She will be dead by the time the week is
over."
Since it was
only Monday, the guy was clearly not a very efficient assassin. The Queen seemed
satisfied by this reply, though, and nodded. "Good. Set off at
once!"
And the Hunter was gone. He was quieter than
Shalizar!
The Queen touched Shalizar's head lightly and
smiled. "I am the only one allowed to be fair," she chuckled, and swept out of
the room.
Okay, not my plan. Sarcastic and rude I may
be, but I am not a murderer. I had to save Snow White! I saw
Shalizar walking unconcernedly through a maze of delicate potion bottles on a
high shelf. "Hey! Shalizar!" I hissed, in Cat.
He stopped and looked at me. "Quentin!" he said,
as if surprised.
"Uh
huh. Me. Can you get me the fourth mauve potion on the left? The one marked
Sselnoitom eht ot Noitom?"
"What?"
"Sselnoitom eht ot Noiton!"
"Gesundheit."
"Just get me the mauve potion from the left,
Shalizar!" I snapped.
Shalizar's black paw hovered tauntingly over the
bottle I watned. "This one?"
"Yes. Pour it over me, will
you?"
"Mm...what
will you give me?" He knocked the bottle slightly. It teetered
dangerously.
"Uh...I
don't know?" What was I supposed to give a cat?
"This
bottle gives motion to the motionless," Shalizar meowed. His emerald eyes
flashed a little. "You're going to run away if I give this to you. Well, I want
to come."
"Why?" A lifetime of
working with a witch leaves you a little suspicious. Can you blame
me?
"I'm
bored."
An evasive answer.
Typical Shalizar. "Okay, you can come. Just pour it over
me!"
Shalizar picked the bottle
up in his teeth and sauntered to the end of the shelf closest to me. He set down
the bottle I wanted, popped the cork with his fangs, and tipped it over
me.
The liquid flowed across my
glass, colder than anything I had ever felt before. Cold, and painful, and
dizzying. I felt my frame bulging. Strangely it itched. I had never felt itching
before. But it itched now, and I had no hands to scratch. Was this how I would
gain motion?
Spindly arms and
legs sprouted from my frame. Arms! Legs! This was terrific! Now I could pick
things up! Walk! Run! Jump!
Yeah, I know, I know, you do that all the time. I'm
a mirror, okay?
I lifted up on my hook and landed awkwardly on the
knotted wooden floor. Shalizar touched down gracefully next to me. I glared at
him. What a show-off.
We were a
mirror and a cat, off to rescue the creepiest girl on the
planet.
Not your typical
fairy-tale, huh?
No comments:
Post a Comment